Friday, June 12, 2009

New Project

A few years back I took a metalsmithing class with an art professor at Ferrum College. It was a lot of fun and as a result I have three pieces of jewelry that I rather like which I created. At the time the professor suggested that I try my hand at engraving because she noticed how detail oriented I am and also complemented me on having good muscle control and steady hands. All things needed in good engraving work.

My dad, who used to run a small side business at a hobby jeweler, said he agreed but stressed how much time and practice would be involved before I could actually engrave an actual piece. That really wasn't what turned me off from the idea. He was really more interested in what I would be engraving. Dad is from the era of jewelers and men who made a lot of money and set a lot of stock by big chains and heavy pieces. For example, one of his most prized possessions is a golden toothpick that he either made or had made at some point in his life which used to hang around his neck on a gold chain. High roller type stuff. (Maybe it's in the name, Frank Sinatra does share some similar qualities...)

I, however, was visualizing small, intricate detail work. Words on medallions. Nothing elaborate. The only "big" jewelry I wear are my over sized, silver Tiffany's studs because, well, they're from Tiffany's. They aren't really even that large, they're just my biggest pieces. So, anyway, the end result was that I did not pursue the engraving thing because I wasn't interested in learning how to engrave a money clip or a gun handle.

I bring this up now because for some reason I have decided that I'm going to look into the engraving thing again. We finally have the workshop set up downstairs and no one in particular is using it, so why not me? I know I should be getting caught up on my scrapbooking, quilting, and mending projects. I understand that I have a very important grad school portfolio that is currently unfinished as well as studying for the GRE that needs to be checked off the to-do list. I realize that the basement of my house is practically a sprawling jungle of my post-college-move-back-home-unpack-all-my-other-stuff-for-the-first-time-since-we-moved-here project. But I'm in a mental rut and I want out of it. I feel like a have half the energy I should have these days and I'm tired of it! And since Dad probably has most everything I need to get started, I think why not for now. I will need to order some new china white and some practice disks, and maybe a new extra small graver (I don't think Dad has anything nearly as small as what I'm going to want) but overall the total expense will be small compared to what it could be.

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Laura, you don't have any money to be spending period. Go back to the scrapbook and quilting pile, asap!" But I tell you, I need something to spark some creative juices. I keep getting writing ideas and then neglecting to put them down on electronic paper. I don't know why either. I'm not writing for anyone but myself at this point but I'm obviously stuck in a rut that's deeper than the sand bunker on the seventh fairway. Ugh, sorry, I hate to be the whiner. That really wasn't my point in writing this entry. Anyway, engraving, the discussion with the father will occur tonight over dinner, I'll update on how that goes soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment