Friday, July 10, 2009

The Franklin County Wilderness, It Loves Me...

Last night I was sitting in bed reading when I heard a small crinkling noise. I immediately put my book down and paused to listen. Nothing. Great, now I wasn't even sure I had heard the noise in the first place. I "hear" a lot of things down in "the cave." So I went back to reading.

A few minutes later, more crinkling. This time I knew I heard it. It sounded like something moving against a plastic bag. Crinkle Crinkle. Before I even had a chance to think, my imagination took off and started filling my head with all sorts of nasty images. A giant hairy spider, an enormous version of the millipedes I already find all over the basement, and all sorts of other varieties of crawlies.

What made it all the more disturbing was the fact that this noise, crinkle crinkle, was coming from directly next to me. Either under my night stand or just next to it.

So I did what anyone would do. I got out of bed, found a pair of crocks in case I needed to squish something, a flashlight in case I needed to look under my bed, and carefully began the extraction of the items surrounding my nightstand. I moved both the stack of catalogs and magazines first, then my stack of summer reading books, then a pile of online shopping still waiting to be returned (I know, I know, I'll get to it soon) all of which left me without a trace of the noise maker. So I checked under the bed, thought I saw something, then realized that the something was a shadow. I was flummoxed and starting to think maybe the whole thing was my imagination after all. I was about to climb back into bed and continue my reading when out of the corner of my eye I saw a flash of blue slip under my nightstand.

Now, I don't particularly like to have to move my nightstand to find creepies underneath it. It leaves your feet vulnerable for them to attack while you are holding the table in the air to move it. But I had my crocs on, so I braved it.

When I moved the table, I found this little friend:
From Coffee Spoons


Needless to say, he was a much better find than a true creepy, although still not welcome in my bedroom. I believe he'll be much happier out in my garden anyway, which is where he has been relocated.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't be able to sleep after finding that. Have you had any more unwanted visitors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have, actually! I found a very large beetle in my room not long after that and another lizard in the big room in our basement. Living in the basement of our house has it's disadvantages for sure, but overall it's pretty posh down here!

    ReplyDelete